Saturday, October 6, 2012

Indebted

This past Thursday I was blessed to be visited by a dear friend of mine— Mrs. Meghan Cox Jones. She brought along her sweet little girl, Evelyn Rowe, who is just 3 days younger than Haddon. Yes, they have an arranged marriage. All joking aside, her being here brought a flood of amazement and gratitude for a sweet little place called Camp Marannook and how the Lord has used it to bring so much grace and change to my life.

I met Meghan at Camp Marannook the summer of 2007. We were counselors together and had no idea that those 3 months in this haven of gospel bliss would completely alter the course of our lives.

Oh how naive we were...

Camp Marannook isn't your ordinary summer camp. "Marannook is a Scripture training center designed specifically for college students with the practical application of that training through working with children." It's really more for the counselors than it is the campers. Needless to say, I had no idea what I was getting into, but by God's grace He got me there and I haven't been the same since! It was at Marannook that I met this fabulous group of people...

Who will be the first to find Kam's baby face in the crowd?

It was at Marannook when I gained life-long friends and beautiful sisters in Christ...
Oh how I love them! Top Row: Mary Emily Farnsworth, me!, Lyndsey Copeland, Kate Rhodes, Meghan Cox (now Jones), Holly Gaddy (now Stokley); Bottom Row: Cara Knowles (now Bryan), Alicia Russell (now Pitts), Carlin Klepper (now Whittington)


It was at Marannook that I met the man who would ask me to be his wife in this very place...

This was my sneaky attempt to get a picture with Kameron. I couldn't ask to take one with just him, that would have been too barracuda of me :) So I asked Drew as well so it wouldn't be too obvious! Have you seen that handsome cleft chin somewhere else lately?


Speaking of Drew [see caption above], Meghan also met her husband that summer at Marannook...

Can you spot the KamPughs in the crowd?

To keep with the similarities, when we were in Nashville to tell Mr. and Mrs. Jones that we were pregnant, they made the same announcement! How sweet it was to share this new season will our fellow Marannookers! Evie was due a few days before Haddon, but the Pughs came in first :) Now those silly counselors from 5 years ago are PARENTS!

Yes, her shirt says "Foxy Coxy." Yes, we're in the freezer section of WalMart.


The boys at the Nook.

Now proud papas! Oh how things have changed :)
Husbands are wonderful and children are a blessing, but most importantly— it was at Marannook that I met Jesus. You see, I thought I knew him before then, but boy was I wrong! I thought I was a good Christian girl with good Christian morals, that had lived a good Christian life up to this point, but come to find out it was all about me and not about Christ. By God's grace, through time studying His Word at Marannook, for the first time I saw my need for Jesus and the work He had done through His life, death, and resurrection. I wasn't a good girl, I was a sinner. I didn't love Jesus, I loved myself. This realization changed my life forever. That fateful summer, the Lord graciously led me to repentance and faith and by His sustaining power, I've been repenting and believing ever since. It hasn't been an easy transformation and it definitely hasn't been quick, but I know I am new. I know the old has gone (2 Corinthians 5:17). The Lord is patient and kind and it's so good to know Him, or rather to be known by Him (Galatians 4:9). May I never forget...

[please follow the lyrics to this wonderful song, I included them below the video]



I once was lost in darkest night 
Yet thought I knew the way. 
The sin that promised joy and life 
Had led me to the grave. 
I had no hope that You would own 
A rebel to Your will. 
And if You had not loved me first 
I would refuse You still. 

But as I ran my hell-bound race 
Indifferent to the cost 
You looked upon my helpless state 
And led me to the cross. 
And I beheld God’s love displayed 
You suffered in my place 
You bore the wrath reserved for me 
Now all I know is grace. 

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ 
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life 

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone 
And live so all might see 
The strength to follow Your commands 
Could never come from me. 
Oh Father, use my ransomed life 
In any way You choose. 
And let my song forever be 
My only boast is You.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ 
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

3 comments: