Friday, July 20, 2012

Family Time in the City

So I'm still working on recapping our New York episodes... Don't worry, nothing too exciting is currently happening in the life of the KamPughs— just getting ready to have a baby in a month. That's all :)

This post is dedicated to the weekend when my sweet family came to visit us in the Big Apple. My middle sister, Valerie, lives in Chambersburg, PA [though she and her fam are moving back to Bama in a couple weeks!]. My parents went to visit them and then they took a road trip [about 3.5 hours] to see us in New York. So Kam and I got the pleasure of hosting my mom, dad, Valerie, and my niece, Emma for the weekend. B-Money, you were missed.

We started our Saturday with a light lunch at a local sandwich shop and then headed to Battery Park to catch our ferry ride to Liberty and Ellis Islands.

The girls on the ferry.

Emma thoroughly enjoying her Aunt O on the ferry.
We arrived first at Liberty Island to take in a wonderful view of the city from across the water, as well as the Statue of Liberty [of course!]. This was probably one of my favorite things we did. The weather was great and it was so fun just to stroll around with the fam and take in all the scenery. Enter an abundance of pictures...

View of the city from Liberty Island. 

Papa and Nana with their little stinker. Man she's cute...
Me and all my favorite boys... dad, Kam, and Haddon :)
There were some other interesting sights we got to see while on Liberty Island. I'm not sure who or where Nicole was, but I hope she said yes. The plane kept flying by so we started to get a little nervous for the guy!
And then there was a pirate ship...
On to the main attraction...
There she is. Why hello Lady Liberty. 
Who said the Statue of Liberty wasn't romantic — I mean, it was a gift from France, right?
I love the crazy zoom on my camera...


After our wonderful time on Liberty Island, we boarded the ferry to head to Ellis Island.


My pictures expose the fact that we were very bad Ellis Islanders... Lady Liberty just took it out of us, so we didn't do much tourist action at Ellis Island. We did watch a 30 minute documentary, though - so at least we'd be a little more historically informed! Emma enjoyed it...


We ended the day with dinner at Max Brenner. You may recall my ravings about MB from this post. It was a great way to finish off a long, full Saturday.

I don't have any pictures from our time on Sunday, so I'll just give you a quick synopsis. Everyone headed to Bay Ridge in the morning to be a part of worship with the Cornerstone family. It worked out that Kam was actually preaching that morning, so we're very thankful the fam got to be there for that. After showing off my family to the locals, we headed to Nino's for some lunch followed by dessert at Little Cupcake Bakeshop [the food lovers were not disappointed]. Then the big plan for Sunday afternoon was Central Park. Epic fail... Little did I know that the Puerto Rican Day Parade would be going down, causing half of the park to be closed off. I didn't know Puerto Ricans could make such a raucous, but they were representin' fo sho... quite the experience.

The crazy PRs [yes, West Side Story style] + being hot and sticky = family leaving early. Not the equation I had in mind, but it was for the best. We had a lovely time doing everything else and I was thankful we got to spend that time with them. They're such good sports!

I'll leave you with some fun frames of little Em rockin' the subway. Such a city girl...

4 comments:

  1. love all the fabulous pics & details from the fantastic fam jam - NY style! such a blessing, wonderful memories.

    wow! next month = Haddon
    {can't contain the excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have to tell you how great you look! Seriously cannot tell you're pregnant in any of the pictures that do not show your belly!!! (My face was probably twice it's normal size!) Glad you had some great adventures while in NYC! Love to you all!!! Cannot wait to see sweet little Haddon! Wish my sweet Sterling could have seen the pirate ship ~ he would have LOVED it!!!
    Aunt Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! We enjoyed getting some time with your husband the other week - your presence was definitely missed. We'd love to get some Winter time soon :)

      Delete