Friday, July 13, 2012

Foodie Review - NY

You may already know this about me but... I love food. Not just eating it — everything about it. Cooking it, reading about it, watching TV and movies about it... you name it. As I type, I'm struggling to stay focused because I have Food Network on. I thought it would be an appropriate mood setter for this post :)

I come by my love for food honestly. The Klein family is all about it. Kameron has a good chuckle pretty much any time I'm on the phone with my family because 9 times out of 10, food will come up. We want to know what you ate, where you ate, what you're going to eat, what you're cooking. Guess it's God's grace that we're not all a bunch of fatties!

Moving along, this is why I have a post devoted solely to the food we got to enjoy during our time in New York. If it bores you, I apologize — but I know some of you out there will really appreciate it!

Before I begin, let's not forget about the best.steak.ever that we got to experience while in Brooklyn. It definitely deserves a shout out on this post and you can read all about it here.

Let's start with pizza, something you just can't get away from while in New York! Here are a few of the places we got to sample...

The famous Grimaldi's! Check out the line in front of us. I'm so glad we were mentally prepared to wait.

Here's a view of all the goods as well as all the great company!
Some more of Kam's fabulous faces while modeling with our Olde Brooklyn Root Beer. The KamPughs love their pizza and root beer...
Post Grimaldi's smiles! I love eating good food with my husband. 
The next place [which may have been our favorite] was L & B Spumoni Gardens. I've included a quick video below from the TV show Man vs. Food. He visited Spumoni Gardens and this clip shows how they make their pizza. Spoiler alert: the cheese is underneath the sauce. Oh my...


Another table of wonderful pizza and sweet community. We all came here after Jill's baptism
Left: Yummy Sicilian pizza - "the square" // Right: We had to try the Spumoni at Spumoni Gardens. It was... interesting. I'm still not sure how I feel about pistachio. 
There were many other NY pizza experiences that I failed to document - one of which being Nino's. This was right down the street from us in Bay Ridge and I was definitely a fan [shout out Kristi Cabe!]

Moving right along... here are some shots from our Shake Shack experience.
We went to the original one in Madison Square Park. Shake Shack is another place where you must be prepared to wait in line. This was our third attempt to eat at Shake Shack (we bailed the first two times because of our state of hunger and the length of the line!). So this time we arrived before they opened to get in line- hardcore. 
Best eating buddy EVER - and definitely the cutest :)
I took the picture on the right so that we could check out the menu and get our order down before we got up to the window. Gotta love that super zoom...
Our burgers, cheese fries, lemonade, and vanilla shake (after all, it is called the Shake Shake) were definitely worth the wait.    

The next place I'm about to showcase may have been the most dangerous— Max Brenner. Oh my chocolate...

Our first visit (yes, there was more than one) to Max Brenner's was with Molly and Justin Rigoloso. Not only are they wonderful, fun people, but they know where all the good food is. My kind of people :)

Just hanging out with some huge vats of milk and white chocolate. No big deal. 
Why hello best dessert ever. This beauty involved two sweet waffles topped with one scoop of dulce de leche ice cream and another scoop of chocolate ice cream. Throw in some whipped cream, chocolate covered crispy things and an additional vial of  melted chocolate goodness and you have a winner. My goodness I want some more now.
So happy...
Bad lighting, but this was our second time at Max Brenner. We took my family when they came to visit. This time, we ate dinner there too (not just dessert). They have wonderful regular food as well. We were very pleased! 

Now that I'm salivating... I'll close with some fun shots of us truly getting the NY food experience.

First food truck experience! It was much better than we expected, but also more expensive than we expected...
So maybe a 7-11 slurpee isn't iconic New York, but it definitely became a classic experience with some of our Bay Ridge friends [the Cabes started it...]. This is Kameron at 11:00pm, the night before he preached at Cornerstone. An extremely large Mountain Dew slurpee with a Sour Punch slurpee straw [yes, you read that correctly] is just what every young pastor needs for optimal sermon prep :)

Well that concludes this Foodie Review. Thank you to those who stuck with me through the entire post. You may now go raid your refrigerator.

3 comments:

  1. I love food too! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should never have looked at this post 30 minutes before lunchtime. :-)

    ReplyDelete