Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Music Scene — Part 2: Hymn Sing

So I mentioned in a previous post, that my husband was 2 for 2 in his music discoveries during our time in New York. Here is number two...

We love hymns and we love Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken (Webb), so naturally we were delighted to find that this was going on while we were in town.



Kameron wanted us to pose for a picture underneath this banner, making the same facial expressions, but I wasn't ready for a photo op like that. Okay, so maybe that's not completely true. I may have suggested a pose of this nature, but only to make Kam nervous. I would never really make him go through with it :)

So how about that? A hymn sing in NYC with two of our favorite singer/songwriters! It was a refreshing night to soak in truths that have been sung for many years by many saints all over the world. It also added to the experience to be in the beautiful building where Central Presbyterian Church comes together to worship.

Just a little artsy pre-show shot for ya...


Above is a clip of some sweet husband and wife harmony action from the end of Thy Mercy My God.


So it was mainly the Sandra show with hubby as her backup [which was completely fine because she's amazing], but I do miss hearing Derek wail like he used to. Another clip for you...




Soon oh soon, when the trumpet sounds every knee shall bend, every heart will pound 
There will be a new world, where the servant is the King 
oppression will be over, and the slave set free 

Justice will roll down, oh justice will roll down 
From high upon those mountains with a mighty river sound 
It will roll down; It will roll down


This last video is one of my favorite Sandra songs so I definitely wanted to record it, but didn't have a good view of her. Therefore, I decided to give you a tour of the beautiful venue we were in. [lyrics listed below]

Not to be morbid, but I wouldn't mind this being sung at my funeral. [right J-Stow?]



Rock of Ages, when the day seems long 
From this labor and this heartache I have come 
The skies will wear out, but You remain the same 
Rock of Ages, I praise Your name. 

Rock of Ages, You have brought me near 
You have poured out Your life-blood, Your love, Your tears 
To make this stone heart come alive again 
Rock of Ages, forgive my sin 

Rock of Ages, Rock of Ages 
Bind your children til' your kingdom comes 
Rock of Ages, Your will be done 

Rock of Ages, when in want or rest 
My desperate need for such a Savior I confess 
Pull these idols out from my heart embrace 
Rock of Ages, I need Your grace 

Rock of Ages, broken, scorned for me 
Who am I that You would die to make me free? 
To give me glory, You took the death and pain 
Rock of Ages, my offering 

Rock of Ages, "It is done," You cried 
The curtain's torn and I see justice satisfied 
Now write Your mercy here on my heart and hands 
Rock of Ages, in faith I stand 

Rock of Ages, my great hope secure 
Your promise holds just like an anchor to my soul 
Bind your children with cords of love and grace 
Rock of Ages, we give You praise

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Love this last song! I've never heard it before. Thanks so much for sharing. God is good :)
    I'm also sad you didn't get a Derek belt of Wedding Dress or another song, but this is still great!
    -Laura Patterson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I got to introduce you to it! So so good.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely night! So glad we could share it with you guys. NYC misses you and so do we. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were there with us as well! We definitely miss your fellowship :(

      Delete