Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tourist Time

First of all, Kam and I have realized that we're really bad tourists. Bad in the sense that we have no idea what we want to do with our time here... We didn't come with a bucket list of landmarks. We don't know where to go or where we're going. We don't know what impresses us. So when we get home and you ask us if we got to see this or that or go here or there, please don't be disappointed when we have a blank look on our faces and we meekly answer no.

On another tourist note, I've noticed my hesitancy to be super camera happy because I don't want to be that tourist. Why hello fear of man! How silly is that... Part of me wishes I would have just fully embraced  the tourist life, fanny pack and all. I'm sure Kam and I really could have had fun with that. Oh well - another adventure for another day.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. We have gotten to see and experience quite a bit during our time here. Take a tour with us...


Well hello Brooklyn Bridge! Even though we live in the Brooklyn area, this was not a daily view for us. This beauty is about a 45 minute subway ride from good ole Bay Ridge. We went there one evening with a group of Cornerstone friends to enjoy some pizza from Grimaldi's which ended riverside with some lovely ice cream from the Brooklyn Bridge Ice Cream Factory. We arrived just in time for sunset and the view did not disappoint.

This was the view across the water of Manhattan. I attempted to get rid of the obnoxious crane silhouette in Photoshop, but I found myself getting angry at all the shades of color in the sunset and resolved it wasn't worth it. Thank you Lord, for all the shades of color in the sunset :)
[Feel free to click any images to get a larger view]
Can you spot Lady Liberty?
Hooray for a camera with super zoom!
 I'm not sure what the whole quote is that was cut out here, but I thought it looked really neat against the skyline.  Again, ignore the crane...
The smaller bridge in the background is the Manhattan Bridge.
A lovely end to our evening.

On another occasion, I went with a Cornerstone friend out to eat in the city while the boys played some pool. She took me to a few iconic spots around town and I was that tourist so that I'd have photos for your viewing pleasure.

The Flatiron Building. Made me feel a bit claustrophobic just looking at it...
This was a neat little green space called Bryant Park. The New York Public Library is the white building at the far left end of the park. The building lit up in a greenly fashion is the Empire State Building.
Left: Chrysler Builder  |  Right: Empire State Building
Chrysler Building again, Grand Central Station in bottom left corner.
The interior of Grand Central Station was amazing. Such a beautiful place!

This was a place in Grand Central Station called the "Whispering Wall." We didn't test it out, but apparently you can stand in one corner of the arches, whisper something against the wall and the person standing at the opposite end of the arch can hear you. Crazy.  
Last but not least, we made a stop at Times Square. This is a mosaic as you come out of the subway. Lots of stops have ornate mosaics like this. I love them!
Another Newsies shout out!
Times Square at night is definitely the way to see it. I was there in the daytime during a trip in high school and it just wasn't the same. It was almost comical how big everything is. Definitely a lot of larger than life imagery to take in! I'll leave you with a short clip of what I saw. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Nice pics, thanks for tour. Love you and your blog. Say hi to the boys for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I totally understand about not wanting to look like a tourist. I was the same way in England. I'm glad you got to enjoy some big city life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a wonderful tour guide ~ thank you!

    ReplyDelete